Episode 30: Become the SHEO of Your Health
“I ultimately feel like doctors should be judged by how we get people off medications,” explains Jennifer Roelands, MD. Jennifer is the CEO and Founder of Well Woman MD. As an OBGYN with integrative medicine training and over a decade of women’s health experience, Jennifer is a catalyst for change within the healthcare community. She believes that women’s health requires a team based, integrative approach in order to really help the patient to the fullest extent and she is working to provide this model in her clinic.
When Jennifer was trying to conceive her second child, she found out that her fertility was being impacted by both PCOS (Polycystic Ovarian Syndrome) and Hashimotos Disease.
To her dismay, her trusted OBGYN had nothing to offer her aside from birth control pills and a slew of other medications to counteract the side effects of the birth control pills. She realized there had to be a better way and this encouraged her to begin taking her health into her own hands by learning more about integrative medicine and really diving into information about nutrition and thyroid function. She discovered that main drivers of symptoms for PCOS are inflammation, insulin resistance, and gut health. And through that discovery, Jennifer was able to modify her diet and habits to improve her symptoms and heal her body all without the pill. Now, she uses what she has learned to help women get off of that endless carousel of medications and regain control over their own health.
Just because healthcare has been handled one way for a long time does not mean it is necessarily the best way of doing things. Tune into this week’s episode of The Catalyst to learn more about how to take control of your own health. Learn about the importance of nutrition, hormones, gut health, and how having an integrative team approach can make a huge difference in your health outcomes.
About Dr. Jennifer Roelands, Founder of Well Woman MD:
Dr. Jennifer Roelands is an integrative medicine trained OB/GYN with over a decade of women’s health experience. She regularly contributes to magazines like Popsugar and Everdayhealth.
She is the SHEO and founder of Well Woman MD, a clinic dedicated to a holistic, whole-body approach to care by using nutrition, lifestyle, and cutting-edge testing. She is also the host of Ignite Your PowHer podcast, a platform for badass female entrepreneurs in the health and wellness industry.
Dr. Jen is an avid outdoor enthusiast and traveler. Most importantly she is the GO-TO math guru for her 4 energetic kids.
In This Episode We're Talking About:
- That you are not crazy if you feel symptoms that your conventional doctor does not have the answers.
- How to trust your gut to get the answers you deserve.
- Practioners can practice the type of medicine that patients deserve.
- “I ultimately feel like doctors should be judged by how we get people off medications. We should be judged by that, not judged by how many people we can see in 10 minutes.” (7:40-7:52 | Jennifer)
- “I think with PCOS, for me, it’s a matter of trying to teach someone how to understand their body much better and understand their health and how my PCOS is different than your PCOS. So therefore, you need to focus on these particular aspects.” (11:43-11:56 | Jennifer)
- “If I can revamp or reimagine women’s health, I would basically want it to be an integrative team. So I think that health care for women needs to be a team approach. We need to be able to take care of a patient. Here’s your doctor, here’s your nutritionist, here’s your acupuncturist. Here’s your health coach, here’s your trainer, it needs to be this approach where we’re basically a team to help someone.” (21:28-21:56 | Jennifer)
- “The patients want this kind of approach, we just need to learn to deliver it in a better model.” (23:25-23:32 | Jennifer)
Links for this Episode:
Connect with Dr. Jennifer Roelands:
Connect with Dr. Lara Salyer:
Catalyst Kit: https://rightbrainrescue.com/p/catalyst_kit
Thank You For Listening!
If you enjoyed this podcast, please leave a review! Your positive review helps other physicians find this podcast and increase the visibility.
About The Catalyst Host, Dr. Lara Salyer:
I worked as a family physician for 15 years until burnout changed the trajectory of my career. I realized I wanted to start a holistic functional medicine practice in my rural hometown and made it happen. In addition to practicing functional medicine, I now mentor practitioners who are looking to change their paths in healthcare by using what I refer to as the “Catalyst Roadmap”. I share each step of this framework with listeners so that they may apply it to their careers, relationships, personal goals, and projects.