Episode 28: The Role of Ancient Wisdom (Shamanism) In Healing
“There’s so many wonderful things that have happened as a result of science and civilization,” says Aviva Gold, MFA, MPS, LCMSW. Aviva has over 35 years of experience working in art medicine inspiring others to heal through the creation of art and connecting with the magic of the universe. She shares ways to incorporate shamanism, or ancient wisdom, into healing and how to embrace creating art without worrying about how the finished project will look.
The patriarchy has spent thousands of years trying to discredit shamanism because of an inherent fear of death and the natural order of things.
However, people are intrinsically connected with nature and are missing out on an opportunity for greater connection and healing by turning away from it. Science and civilization have brought great things to the world, but have also caused a disconnect between humans and nature, making it more difficult for humans to accept the magic of being one with the Earth and one another. Art provides a way for humans to reconnect with the magic within themselves and to receive messages from the universe. By learning how to play and make art for fun, you can unlock previously inaccessible pathways to healing.
Shamanism can work hand in hand with allopathic medicine for a more balanced approach to healing. Tune into this week’s episode of The Catalyst to learn more about the ancient wisdom of Shamanism and how to apply it to your own life. Learn simple art therapy practices for reconnecting to the magic within yourself in spite of the patriarchy working hard to keep that connection severed.
About Aviva Gold, Art Medicine Woman:
Aviva Gold, MFA., MPS, CSW, ATR-BC, Art Medicine Woman, has been facilitating inspired art for over 35 years and leads International Painting From The Source workshops and PFTS Teacher Trainings in centers such as Omega, Esalen, Findhorn and Kripalu. She has background in Psychoanalytic, Jungian, Transpersonal and Gestalt psychotherapy, plus painter, dancer, author and spiritual seeker. Her first book, Painting From The Source: Awakening The Artists Soul In Everyone was originally published by Harper Collins in 1998. Aviva’s second book, Source Art in the World: How Your Authentic Creativity Heals the Planet was self published in 2011. Aviva’s third book , The King Who Sang The Song Of The Grandmother, was self published in 2022 and is being adapted as a movie. Aviva believes “The process by which art is made is similar to the evolutionary process of creation in the universe and the capacity to create is part of the Divinity of being human.” She is the mother of three sons and resides in Oracle, Arizona.
In This Episode We're Talking About:
- How you can be youthful, healthy , vital and productive at any age.
- What looks like tragedy can be a blessing.
- The source of Life, wants you to succeed and make a positive contribution in your lifetime… no matter how small or big.
- “A medical issue, a symptom, a diagnosis, or whatever you want to call it has not only an emotional root, but also has a spiritual root.” (13:40-13:58 | Aviva)
- “Even if this foolhardy patriarchy kills our species, life is gonna happen again. And it is happening somewhere else in the universe.” (25:55-26:08 | Aviva)
- “There’s so many wonderful things that have happened as a result of science and civilization. It’s keeping the core of the magic and all the other stuff that just stops the magic and all the inventions and all the discoveries from really helping that needs to be peeled away.” (27:09-27:37 | Aviva)
- “You have the connection with the Earth and it’s in you.” (35:31-35:37 | Aviva)
Links for this Episode:
Connect with Aviva Gold:
Connect with Dr. Lara Salyer:
Catalyst Kit: https://rightbrainrescue.com/p/catalyst_kit
Thank You For Listening!
If you enjoyed this podcast, please leave a review! Your positive review helps other physicians find this podcast and increase the visibility.
About The Catalyst Host, Dr. Lara Salyer:
I worked as a family physician for 15 years until burnout changed the trajectory of my career. I realized I wanted to start a holistic functional medicine practice in my rural hometown and made it happen. In addition to practicing functional medicine, I now mentor practitioners who are looking to change their paths in healthcare by using what I refer to as the “Catalyst Roadmap”. I share each step of this framework with listeners so that they may apply it to their careers, relationships, personal goals, and projects.