Episode 15: We Are All Doomed if We Can’t Control This One Thing
“We’re all doomed if we cannot understand our own flow blockers and learn to avoid them,” explains host Dr. Lara Salyer. Flow blockers are anything that causes you to become distracted or that trigger imposter syndrome. Imposter syndrome can keep you from catalyzing to your full potential by causing you to feel overwhelmed and burned out, even about things you are usually passionate about.
Dr. Salyer shares that one of the biggest roadblocks to being a catalyst is dealing with imposter syndrome. Because functional and holistic medicine encompasses so much information, it is easy for practitioners to become overwhelmed and feed into their imposter syndrome.
By avoiding flow blockers like an overly packed schedule, triggering social media posts, unsupportive people, and systems that are no longer serving you, you can protect your flow and avoid burnout.
Tune into this week’s episode of The Catalyst to learn about how to control flow blockers and how to counteract imposter syndrome.
About The Catalyst Host, Dr. Lara Salyer:
I worked as a family physician for 15 years until burnout changed the trajectory of my career. I realized I wanted to start a holistic functional medicine practice in my rural hometown and made it happen. In addition to practicing functional medicine, I now mentor practitioners who are looking to change their paths in healthcare by using what I refer to as the “Catalyst Roadmap”. I share each step of this framework with listeners so that they may apply it to their careers, relationships, personal goals, and projects.
In This Episode I'm Talking About:
- How imposter syndrome is the biggest roadblock
- Ways to protect your flow and avoid burnout
- Why living out your dream takes vulnerability
- “It feels like you have to know everything before you can start practicing functional, holistic medicine. And that’s what gets a lot of us feeling downtrodden.” (2:03-2:12 | Lara)
- “If you were given a free Saturday with no expectations, what topic in your field of interest would you freely be excited and geek out to read and learn more?” (4:13-4:26 | Lara)
- “Our core values are there, but they can shift. And sometimes we uncover new things that we want to learn about that really sit even more central to our mission and purpose.” (5:16-5:27 | Lara)
- “Living out your dream and learning how to shape your masterpiece into something you love takes vulnerability. But you can learn to work with those shadows and learn to work with those sabotages and quirks and see the better perspective that you can create.” (6:56-7:16 | Lara)
- “We’re all doomed if we cannot understand our own flow blockers and learn to avoid them.” (11:39-11:45 | Lara)
Links for this Episode:
Connect with Dr. Lara Salyer:
Thank You For Listening!
If you enjoyed this podcast, please leave a review! Your positive review helps other physicians find this podcast and increase the visibility.